Thursday 13 November 2008

My glass is half full, but its also half empty.

I tend to think of myself as a pretty caring person. I am sensitive, but not overly emotional; moody but not raging; and pessimistically optimistic (yes, I made that one up). Jonathan will be going on what will likely turn into a 6 month business trip starting in the new year. When I think that he will be leaving so soon (1 1/2 months!!) I haven't decided yet if my glass is half empty or half full. The opportunities that Jonathan will have on this trip to learn, grow and protect our country are incredible!! After 5 1/2 years in his job, he will be finally be able to put his training to the test. While I will miss him so much when he is gone, I have been focusing on all of the positives that this separation will bring. Sometimes I feel a bit callous because I am really excited about some the things I will be doing next year during the time that Jonathan is away. I will be (hopefully) finishing up 2 more classes and will be OVER half way done with my DPT. I will be planning and going on amazing trips with girlfriends. I will MAYBE be working in the UK or doing a contract job in the states for a couple of months. Six months is a long time, but you know, in the scheme of things it really isnt that bad. I will try to feel thankful every day that I am sad and missing Jonathan, because at least God gave me someone who I would be so sad to be apart from.

Sometimes I feel like I need to hide my excitement of the girl trips that I will go on, the growing that I will do as a person, and the chance to eat grilled cheese and tomato soup everynight when Jonathan isnt home, because some may look at this deployment as a "glass half empty" time. But, my glass is half full for this upcoming separation. Both Jonathan and I will have an incredible amount of growing to do while we are separated--and our relationship will be stronger for that.


Jonathan is my best friend and I love hanging out with him. At the same time, I am a fiercly independent person and Jonathan is pretty independent himself. I love being co-independent with Jonathan and I think our independence and ability to be co-independent together makes our marriage that much stronger. Separation can be good for any marriage...although I'm not quite sure SIX months is necessary. Its easy to look at these separations with a "glass half empty" mind set--but you know what, my glass is half full today. I am looking forward to the adventures that both Jonathan and I will face on our own while he is away, but I am more excited for when we can share our stories with eachother.

3 comments:

April said...

Amen sister! Aaron and I have had the same talks. I've told him that I hope he knows that when I talk about my own plans to do things during the deployment that he knows I'm not "excited" or "ready" for him to leave. He fully understands and says how happy his is that I am talking about all the fun stuff b/c it makes it easier for him. Here's to a glass half full (of wine, hopefully! haha)

Unknown said...

erin,
what a great note and a great attitude! i am proud of you! you will have both cup half full and cup half empty times. i pray that you will experience the full times more often. i know that you have the strength and the faith to find the blessings for 6 months. i also know that jonathan will work hard but feel blessed to be able to serve his country.
in His grip, love, mom

McCabe said...

Ya, I don't know which person I am either. There is a hole in my cup!

Hey lets talk sometime about future plans, like a trip to FARMVILLE or more seriously training for the marathon.

Do you have pictures posted on here too! I haven't seen ANY pictures.