Tuesday 6 January 2009

Two-wheeled bikes are for sissies.

Today was a day of firsts for me:

This morning, I road a one-wheeled bike that didn't move. No, not a unicycle-those are for scary clowns at carnival themed first-saturdays. I attended and somehow completed my first spinning class at the gym. I have successfully avoided this class for many, many years but was somehow persuaded to test it out today by a friend who will remain nameless (my quads will never forgive you, Shanna). The class was probably worse than I anticipated, but being the endorphin junkie that I am, I think I might just learn to like this masochistic aerobic experience. But, I am going to wait to make a final verdict once DOMS has set in (thats medical speak for painful, angry muscles after a workout).

This morning, prior to spnning class, I also volunteered to try out a "sport" yoga class. Now, when I am trying something new, I normally try to keep an open mind but yoga is one of those things that I have been judging for years. Yes, it seems to work for the celebrities that swear by it; but then again most of them think that carbs are theoretical food items that don't really exist. Yoga, to me, has always seemed like a touchy-feely wanna be work out. I like workouts that leave me drenched in sweat and exhausted. My opinions aside, I tried yoga with a semi-open mind. I figured that at best I would get a bit of a core workout, and at worst I would at least get a good stretch in. What I forgot is that I am about as flexible as a brick. Sit and reach always killed my dream in elementary and high school of getting the Presidential fitness award. The instructor was pretty nice and luckily didnt make us picture running through meadows with butterflies (which is what the instructor in my first yoga experience a year ago did). She led us through some positions and I have to admit that I couldnt handle some of the things she wanted us to do. I did get a nice little ab workout, but I didn't leave the class feeling "worked out". I did feel a little more limber after class, so all in all it was a good experience but one I am not sure I will repeat.

So, today was a pretty good day. While I may not have found my "chi" in yoga (is that something you can find?), I did get in a well rounded workout.

Ohm.

2 comments:

April said...

You so funny :) Glad you enjoyed Spinning and - ohm - Yoga. Now, if only I can get you to join LA Fitness and start going with me on T/Th nights to spinning for some much-earned DOMS (is that right?)! It's half-price to join right now... :) Maybe they wouldn't notice if I stockpiled guest passes and brought you along...daily.

Unknown said...

erin,
dad would probably love spinning--not me!!! i am too lazy!! as far as yoga,,jean and joe gave me a cd and booklet for a 20 minute yoga workout for Christmas--haven't opened it yet:[ one of these days i plan on trying it as it might help me to relax.
hope you dress warm for your france trip. weather channel showed your area today--very cold:[ in His grip, love, mom