Thursday 14 August 2008

If you act classy, does that make you classy?

I am staying with my parents in Huntsville, AL for about a month this summer while Jonathan is "working" in Las Vegas. My dad keeps pretty busy with his job; usually he is out of town during the week but luckily there is a conference in Huntsville this week so he has been in town. Part of my dads job is schmoozing and small talk...and when I visit the parents I get to partake in this "socializing" as I attend events with them. Last night, my parents hosted a dinner party for some of the foreigners that were in town for the conference. My parents have an AMAZING chef (provided by my dads job...and NO my parents aren't rich) who made a very yummy dinner for us. Countries represented at our dinner table included: Israel, France, Germany and the Netherlands (not to mention America ;) ). Usually these dinner parties are pretty stuffy, and I have to act classy (NOT klassy). I sat up straight, folded my hands on my lap and made sure not to spill my milk (I am only 16 years old you know--please see previous blog).

Turns out, these Europeans are pretty cool. Some conversations began to focus on space ships and rocket science (Boring! no offense to all you rocket scientists out there); but the better conversations were about the similarities between men and women cross-culturally. The husbands at the table continually rolled their eyes as the women discussed shopping, not spending enough time with their hubbies and the fact that husbands should cook more often. I was able to sip on my wine and laugh the whole night.

At the end of the night, when the dinner party was over and we were cleaning up I began to ponder my own classy-ness. If I act classy, dress classy and hang around classy people, does that make me classy OR am I like a Prado purse: a cheap knock-off?

2 comments:

-hh said...

poser.

Dori said...

No way you're a knock off