Sunday 10 August 2008

Nothing says luxury like a 1997 Toyota Camry.

Last Sunday my mom and I drove from Worcester, Massachusetts to Huntsville, Alabama (insert the sounds of banjo's and shot guns here). Yes, I said DROVE. We spent 18 hours on the road in my parents luxury 1997 Toyota Camry. This car is fully loaded with POWER windows AND the original tape deck (you better believe that we were jamming to all of the NKOTB classics). I say luxury because our other option of vehicle was my dad's "baby" The 1993 Corolla that just keeps on going. The Corolla may have been an okay car in its heyday (back in 1993)--it comes complete with crank windows, tan cloth seats AND a tape deck--but now-a-days I have to say that its kind of a piece. My dad does take GREAT care of the corolla...in fact he was a little nervous when gas prices began to sore because it was obvious to him that our 1993 Corolla would be a high theft target due to its great gas mileage. Somehow, no one has gotten their greedy hands on the Corolla...we still keep the alarm on at night though (o0h wait, no alarm system). Needless to say, when driving in the Corolla you can feel every pebble and every crevice on the road.


But I digress...I have many stories about K Campbell (my dad) which some of you have been privileged enough to hear on road trips to Brugge, that I will save for a later date.


My mom and I are pretty good at the road trip thing. She likes to wake up at the crack of dawn (4 AM!!) to hit the road. I drag myself into the car and quickly fall back asleep...happy to awaken 4-5 hours later a couple of hundred miles into the trip. I take the afternoon shift--with the help of Starbucks. We make a pretty good team, and we have fun on our trips. I am pretty lucky to have such a great mom.

1 comment:

April said...

Glad to hear you're living the glamorous life and keeping it classy in the Camry...or Corolla. I do need a classy ride while I'm back home - and one that gets good gas mileage - so while you're living the high life in AL I might just be picking some locks in Mass. Haha.