Saturday 7 March 2009

When in Rome...

On a recent trip home to the states, I was fortunate enough to spend a couple of days in a little city called Worcester. Some may be familiar with this city from an Adam Sandler skit where Adam is a toll booth operator and says "Welcome to WOOOSTA" to every car that comes his way. Others may know Worcester from its review in Maxim magazine which dubbed it "the armpit of Massachusetts". Call it what you may, Worcester is the city where my extended family is from, and where my parents grew up.

Worcester is like many old factory towns in New England...some parts (or many) are run down, but it has a sort of...well..."charm" that is unmistakeable. The charm I am talking about comes in the form of Nascar t-shirt wearing, Marlboro light smoking, Budweiser drinking, good ole city folk. These "city folk" like to pahk their cahs in tha garage just as much as anyone else and Dunkin Donuts is the regular meeting place. If you are from Worcester and reading this-don't be offended. EVERY city I have been to has the same "charm"...it just varies in characteristics from region to region. You have the Chavs in England, Cholos in Mexico, red-necks in the south...etc, etc. Many of the people in Worcester (especially members of my family) are amazingly great people who are well educated and classy. But, the Worcester-ites that make for more interesting blog stories are the Bud drinkers.
Anyways-to get to the point of this close to pointless blog: My mom and I got to spend some quality time together in Worcester last week. Many of the days we spent together were a bit stressful since we had some family health issues going on. One morning, after working out at the gym, my mom and I decided to grab a bite (and coffee) at Dunkin Donuts and then head over to Shaws to pick up some groceries. My moms outfit was classic: faded blue tapered sweat pants and an oversized college sweatshirt. My outfit was equally as hideous. We had to capture the moment while cruising the aisles of Shaws. We had fun laughing at eachother and just being silly. We decided that we were just going along with the old saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans". Theres nothing like going back to your roots...
What I learned was that sometimes all you need is a pair of faded, tapered sweats and two oversized sweatshirts in order to forget about the stresses of life for a little while. And for the record, mom, those sweatpants will NEVER go out of style. (or maybe they already have?)
**Disclaimer: KCamp (mom) and I look MUCH better in person....I hope!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

erin,
oh my goodness. i think someone reading this might send our pics to some makeover show!!! i did have fun hanging in ''worcester like grubbies'' with you in public places!! hope dad doesn't read this. he might disown his 2 favorite girls!!!
in HIS grip,love, mom