Wednesday 1 July 2009

Death by Toaster?

English summers are the time of year when the temperatures tip the scale in the mid 70's, British chavs walk around with little to no clothing on, and when spiders decide to invade.  The spiders here can be MONSTERS.  During the summer months, we keep the windows open to get some fresh air in our un-airconditioned house allowing spiders to freely roam into our territory.  Jonathan being the nice, and somewhat granola-ey person that he is, likes to let the spiders we find in our house live.  He especially likes the daddy-long-legs because, according to him, they eat other spiders and are awesome.  I on the other hand perfer that anything in our house that is living and uninvited should meet my can of Raid and take a little water slide ride down the toilet. (Uninvited house guests beware.)  The only problem is that I am a big sissy when it comes to picking spiders up and I either have to a) use a whole roll of paper towel to ensure that the spider does not come back to life and jump of me or (the more likely choice) b) soak the offender in a puddle of Raid and leave it until Jonathan comes home from work.  Jonathan loves that.  Well this morning, I opened the toaster to make some toast and found a spider crushed between the door and the toaster where it met its "warm" death. 
 
 My can of Raid was spared, but I was so disgusted that a spider somehow crawled INTO my toaster I couldn't eat my toast.  At least my can of Raid was spared for another day.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

erin,
you did inherit some bad things from me:[ any crawly thingies in our house usually end up dead as soon as i see them. the usual weapon is raid! the worse one was the lizard in my running shoe in el paso:[ the can of raid did nothing so i had to hit it many times till it stopped breathing:{ if they dare come into our house they deserve what they get:{ yuk about the toaster:{
in HIS grip, wimpy mom