Thursday 13 August 2009

The Oregon Coast


Tide pools Sunset in Lincoln City

Lincoln City Newport (and the best coffee EVER)

Jonathan and I spent an amazing week in the Northwest this past July. A whirlwind weekend in Seattle for a friends wedding followed by a relaxing week at the beach in Oregon made for a great family vacation. We were able to spend our time with Jonathan's parents, brother and his brother's fiancee.

The Pacific Northwest is FAR different than the East coast (I, myself, claim to be from the East). Everyone that I met was super friendly, inviting and generally happy (which is, unfortunately a lot different than both my current home and previous homes on the east coast). Portland was quite possibly one of the coolest, most unique American cities that I have been to (although, Boston is still my favorite). The REI alone in Portland is enough to make me happy, then you add Voodoo Donuts which offers the best donuts around, an amazing Nike store, and crazy entertaining homeless people wandering the streets and was SOLD. Residents of the city did fit my stereotype of "granola-ey", but they pull off the granola look with style. I could definitely see myself settling in Portland someday.

Oregon, the state, pretty cool as well. A good friend of mine is Oregonian and has been talking up her state since I met her. Having visited Portland and spent a week in Lincoln City, I have to say that she wasn't lying. The beach at Lincoln City was absolutely beautiful, if not a little (or a LOT) cold and windy. Despite the cold at the beach, our week their was perfect. We were able to fly kites, go on runs, check out the tide pools, see Sea Lions!!, eat yummy seafood chowder and eat lots and lots of ice cream.

All in all, it was a great trip. As it turns out, the West Coast really isn't as bad as everyone on the East Coast says it is! ;)


Jumping off the sand dunes. (This picture looks FAR more impressive than my actual 1 foot jump.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

u can jump high and far!!!!!!! love, Dad

Unknown said...

hi erin and jonathan,
no way-------will you be settling on the west coast----far away from mommy!!! and daddy!!!!!!!
love this blog too:} great that you were able to have a bott family vacation!!
in HIS grip, love, mom